Monday, October 1, 2012

Food Aversion



          For me food is deliciousness and I can try everything and anything. I’m not picky when it comes to food. I have tried worms, grasshoppers, cow (intestines, tongue, guts), pigs nose and even duck. So after thinking and thinking what food I don’t like, I couldn’t think of anything! So I decided to go to HEB. After walking through the vegetables and fruits isle, I became closer and closer to where the cheeses counter was… in that moment I remember a very sour and stinky fruit. There it was… OLIVES! I hate olives, the smell, how they look and just to think that sometimes they have seeds on the inside makes me want to vomit! My nose can’t handle the smell of vinegar and then I remember! PICKLES! Gross! I have tried pickles before, so in my mind I knew it was going to be the same taste! I had to run like a little girl, I could not handle the smell of cheese mixed with the oil and vinegar of the olives. For me it doesn’t matter, black or green olives are disgusting. Even when they order a pizza, I have to remove all the olives, also in martinis and salads. After shopping, I got out of HEB, and I completely forgot to buy some olives! I guess I totally blocked olives from my mind. 

So last Friday, I had to babysit, and I was a little hungry so I went to the pantry, and there it was… a huge glass bottle full of green olives, I stare for 10 seconds, but I needed to have some courage and the strength to taste if for the first time! Before I ate it, I went really fast to the refrigerator and pulled a can of coke, just in case my tongue stayed with the flavor. Then I open the glass container, and right away, the smell of vinegar! I finally took one olive with my two fingers, it was so squishy that I was ready to throw it in the garbage, but then I put it really fast in my mouth and I started chewing. I felt like a little 2 year old tasting lime for the first time! It was so salty but bitter at the same time that I had to eat it really fast! Till this day I can’t eat olives! 

On Sunday I was talking with my mom, and she reminded me of something, a condition I have in my tongue. It is called geographic tongue and scientifically named Benign Migratory Glossitis, it sounded so scary! Mine is not as gross as the pictures on Google. But I wonder… Do people get infected? Is it contagious? Does your taste in food change? I had to do some research. The doctors say that there is no treatment and the cause is uncertain, but thank goodness is not contagious, it just runs in the family genes. According to the A.D.A.M. Medical Encyclopedia, “Geographic tongue is a map-like appearance of your tongue due to irregular patches on its surface.” It does not change the taste of the food, however, irritation and burning pain can occur from hot, spicy, acid and sour foods. So then I remember! I love pineapple! But my tongue can’t handle it too much, neither strawberries and cantaloupe. I guess my tongue is a little sensitive to certain foods, especially with acid foods, sometimes I can keep the taste of cantaloupe for many hours in my tongue. I guess everyone is different, but in my case I love to discover, learn, and taste every kind of food. 

                                                                                                     Angelica Romero

Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment